What Organically Grown actually means
- NO persistent or chemical pesticides. Persistent means it never goes away, is poisonous forever and stays on plant, gets in soil, bird eats it, animal eats bird. Chemicals can contaminate food chain.
- YES biodegradable pesticides that are broken down by sunlight, air, or water. They are made from plant based pyrethrins instead of synthetic chemicals.
- NO commercial - chemical fertilizers that are made from petroleum and other natural gases. These fertilizers usually are of 45-45-45 strength. The numbers tell the “N-P-K value,” which is the concentration of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium in the fertilizer. The higher the number, the higher the concentration. When there is too much nitrogen, it can seep into the groundwater and poison those living around it. Compare that to the fertilizers, which are 12-6-6 strength or less. Organic fertilizers come from plant and animal sources, meant to nourish the soil as well as the plant.
- NO chemical herbicides. Farmers producing organically grown products don’t use organic herbicides because they’re not very effective, and not completely safe.
- YES adding organic material, such as manure and compost, to the soil as much as possible.
- NO preventative spraying, like some conventional farms do. Instead of dousing the soil with chemicals before a pest even appears, farmers organically growing wait until the plant starts growing to decide what it needs.
- Medhemporium's growers use NO pesticides or fungicides, as even Organic Pesticides and fungicides can be detrimental to your health.